This is my FIFTH annual ‘favorite reads’ list and, I’m going to be honest, this year I wasn’t able to devote as much time to reading so the list is on the shorter side. Plus as I was compiling try list, I realized they are ALL pretty dark and depressing story lines. War. Racism. Poverty. They’re heavy reads. But there’s one book in particular that I believe is a very important read for everyone to add to their list.
MY BOOK RECOMMENDATION LIST
- Small Great Things. I think everyone should read this book. It’s a fictional story about racism, but it brings to light the hate that exists in America in a very real way. I happened to finish this book the week before the incident in Charlottesville, VA and it made me realize that this book is hardly fiction at all.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns. I’ve had this on my bookshelf for years (I bought it after loving The Kite Runner) and finally picked it up. It’s a tough story, like Kite Runner, but featuring female leads this time. I would rank this second to Kite Runner, but still very much worth reading.
- Icy Sparks. This was a unique book. It’s about a strange little girl struggling with Tourette’s though she doesn’t know it. For some reason I found it hard to put down. Oprah picked this as her book club selection back in March 2001 so I’m perhaps a little late to the game here.
- All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. A pretty shocking love story about the daughter of a meth dealer. It’s dark, but also captivating.
- Girl at War. This is a fictional story about a Croatian girl taken from her family during the war. My jaw literally dropped during the scene where she’s separated from them… very tough to read. Still recommend it though!